The West Milford Township Library (WMTL) recently became an affiliate member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM). By joining this nationwide network of medical libraries and information centers, we have enhanced access to materials you can use to make informed decisions about your health.
Looking for information on careers in the health field? Visit our health careers page.
NEWSLETTERS, MAGAZINES, VIDEOS, BLOGS & REPORTS
NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH (NIH)
– NIH MedlinePlus Salud – Current issue
– NIH News in Health – Current issue
– NIH Research Matters – a weekly update of NIH research highlights reviewed by NIH’s experts.
PUBLIC HEALTH NEWS
– Global Health Now A not-for-profit initiative of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Free e-newsletter subscription available.
ATLANTIC HEALTH SYSTEMS
– Atlanticast : a local news source for all things happening at Atlantic Health System’s hospitals and the communities they serve. New episodes are released every two weeks, covering everything from our state-of-the-art facilities and groundbreaking treatments to healthy lifestyle tips and health care industry trends.
– New Vitality: A source for health and wellness programs specifically for adults 65+
– AtlanticView Kids: a publication of Goryeb Children’s Hospital and is published bi-annually by Atlantic Health System, specifically for the Morristown, Overlook and Newton medical center communities. The focus is on children from birth through age 21.
– Atlantic View Magazine for Chilton Medical Center
– Atlantic View Magazine for Hackettstown Medical Center
– Atlantic View Magazine for Morristown Medical Center
– Atlantic View Magazine for Newton Medical Center
– Atlantic View Magazine for Overlook Medical Center
Cancer Currents: A National Cancer Institute Research Blog
National Toxicology Program Report:
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released the 14th Report on Carcinogens on November 3, 2016. The Report on Carcinogens is a congressionally mandated, science-based, public health document that NTP prepares for the HHS Secretary. This cumulative report currently includes 248 listings of agents, substances, mixtures, and exposure circumstances that are known or reasonably anticipated to cause cancer in humans.
COMMON & SEASONAL AILMENTS
– Allergic Reactions
– Insect Bites and Stings
– Understanding Food Allergies
– Food Allergies (NIAID)
– Cold, Flu or Allergy?
– Flu Symptoms & Complications
– Cold Versus Flu
[IMPORTANT! If you need immediate help or if you are having thoughts of death or suicide, call 911 or 1-800-273-TALK (8255), or go to a hospital emergency room.]
– The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) – the lead federal agency for research on mental disorders
– American Psychiatric Association – Learn about common mental disorders, including symptoms, risk factors and treatment options.
– Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) – Understand the facts, find treatment and support for children, teen, college students, girls and women, diverse communities, caregivers, older adults, friends and relatives, military and military families.
– The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA) – peer-based, wellness-oriented, and empowering services and resources including online peer support24/7, local support groups, audio and video casts.
– Children’s Mental Health – information from the American Psychological Association (APA)
– Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) – the agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation. SAMHSA’s mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on America’s communities.
– What is Mindfulness?
– Can Living in the Moment Improve Your Health?
– National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH): In this video, Dr. Amishi Jha of NCCIH talks about mindfulness and her research on mindfulness training and building resilience.
|WEST MILFORD PUBLIC HEALTH NURSING DIVISION
– Preventive health services including health screenings and immunizations for children and adults
– Office Hours are 8:30 – 4:30 p.m. most days
– Please call 973-728-2726 Monday through Friday to schedule appointments
WEST MILFORD HEALTH ADVISORY BOARD
HOTLINES & EMERGENCY HELP
– Food Assistance : Find out how to get food in case of an emergency, apply for food stamps and what free or low-cost food programs are available for infants, children and seniors
– DISASTER HOTLINE: 1-800-985-5990
– DRUG & ALCOHOL ABUSE: 1-888-575-7851 On the Wagon was founded by victims of drug and alcohol abuse with the objective of creating the most comprehensive and authoritative resource for parents, children, friends, and society as a whole on drug abuse and mental health-related issues, with the end goal to get them back “on the wagon.”
– NATIONAL COUNCIL ON SENIORS DRUG & ALCOHOL REHAB 1-877-888-0552: Free, confidential
DRUG ABUSE & ADDICTION – HELPFUL INFORMATION
– New Jersey Aging & Disability Resource Connection
– Eldercare Locator, a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging connecting you to services for older adults and their families. You can also reach us at 1-800-677-1116.
– National Association of Area Agencies on Aging
– National Institute on Aging
– Cutting Edge Research from the NIH: New Evidence Suggests Aging Brains Continue to Make New Neurons [Posted on April 10, 2018 by Dr. Francis Collins]
– You’re Never Too Old to Keep Active
– Aging and Health: Every Older Person is Different
– World Health Organization (WHO): Ageing and Life-Course
– Talking With Your Doctor – Make the Most of Your Appointment
– Getting Started With Medicare
– National Council on Seniors Drug & Alcohol Rehab
– Falls Prevention
– Dealing With Dementia
– Coping with Caregiving
– Osteoporosis in Aging
– The Aches of Arthritis
– Your Aging Eyes
– NJ Early Intervention Services for Children Under Age 3 [Español]
– MedlinePlus: Children’s Health [Español]
– CDC: Parent Information
– Children (Ages 4-11) – Safety in the Home & Community
– MedlinePlus: Veterans and Military Health
– Veterans Health Administration (VA)
– USA.gov Health Issues and Benefits for Veterans
– Social Security Disability Benefits and Veterans
– Mind and Body Approaches for Health Problems Facing Military Personnel and Veterans
– Institute for Functional Medicine
NATUROPATHIC & INTEGRATIVE HEALTH
– National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH)
– Be an Informed Consumer
– Product Safety
– Herbs at a Glance
– Genetics Home Reference
– USDA Food and Nutrition Service : How to Apply for SNAP Benefits, How to Apply for WIC Benefits, Become a SNAP Retailer, Community Food Systems, Summer Food Service Program, Food Safety, Child Nutrition, Disaster Assistance
– MedlinePlus Nutrition Information
– The Organic Center
– Food As Medicine
– Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics
– FDA: U.S. Food and Drug Administration
– CDC: Healthy Living by Centers for Disease Control
– The George Mateljan Foundation
– Angiogenesis Foundation: “Eat to Beat Cancer”
– Clinical eCompanion”: Free clinical information from NLM geared toward primary care providers.
– Health Reach:Culturally relevant information in multiple languages and formats about health conditions and wellness topics
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES:
– CDC: National Center for Environmental Health
– EPA: US Environmental Protection Agency
– CEOHS: NJ Consumer, Environmental and Occupational Health Service