The West Milford Township Library (WMTL) recently became an affiliate member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM). By joining this nationwide network of medical libraries and information centers, we have enhanced access to materials you can use to make informed decisions about your health.
Go to information from National Institutes of Health/National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NIH/NNLM) and other organizations that are part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Looking for information on careers in the health field? Visit our health careers page.
COVID-19 INFORMATION & RESOURCES
Stop the Spread of Misinformation – from The American Academy of Family Physicians
COVID-19 Outbreak Resources – from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
COVID-19 Resources – from the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
COVID-19 Information Hub – from the New Jersey State Library
New Jersey COVID-19 Dashboard – from the New Jersey Department of Health
NIH Health Information Lines
A directory of phone lines for a wide variety of health topics. Many are toll-free and have TTY alternative numbers.
|West Milford NJ Domestic Violence Response Team
24-hour hotline 973-881-1450.
The domestic violence program provides shelter for women and their children, individual and group counseling, accompaniment, legal advocacy and accompaniments. The sexual assault program provides crisis intervention, information and referral services, accompaniments during medical attention and criminal justice procedures, and individual/group counseling for survivors. All of the services are free and confidential. National Domestic Violence Hotline
Highly-trained advocates are available 24/7/365 to talk confidentially with anyone experiencing domestic violence, seeking resources or information, or questioning unhealthy aspects of their relationship.
1-800-799-7233 in English and Spanish.
DRUG & ALCOHOL ABUSE: 1-888-575-7851 On the Wagon was founded by victims of drug and alcohol abuse with the objective of creating the most comprehensive and authoritative resource for parents, children, friends, and society as a whole on drug abuse and mental health-related issues, with the end goal to get them back “on the wagon.”
New Life Recovery Center: 1-888-412-1969 is West Milford, New Jersey’s On the Wagon facility, offering outpatient drug rehabilitation services for adult males, adult females, teens and DUI.
National Council on Seniors Drug & Alcohol Rehab 1-877-888-0552: Free & confidential.
Find out how to get food in case of an emergency, apply for food stamps and what free or low-cost food programs are available for infants, children and seniors
West Milford Public Health Nursing Division
Passaic County AGING & DISABILITY RESOURCE CONNECTION (ADRC)
West Milford Health Advisory Board
Jewish Family and Children’s Services of Northern New Jersey (JFCS)
Guide to Mental Health Services in Passaic County
ENGLISH — DISASTER HOTLINE: 1-800-985-5990
Free, confidential and multilingual telephone crisis support service for U.S. residents experiencing psychological distress as a result of a natural or man-made disaster.
POISON Help Hotline 1-800-222-1222 – U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
SUBSTANCE ABUSE Hotline 1-800-662-HELP – Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
NATIONAL RUNAWAY SAFELINE 1-800-RUNAWAY or use the online services to chat, email, or post on the forum for confidential, nonjudgmental support.
Information from NIH/NNLM
|MAGAZINES & NEWSLETTERS
– NIH MedlinePlus Salud – Current issue
– NIH News in Health – Current issue
– NIH Research Matters – a weekly update of NIH research highlights reviewed by NIH’s experts.
– Smart Health Choices
– Understanding Health Statistics
– Better Research for Better Healthcare
–MedlinePlus: Talking With Your Doctor
–MedlinePlus: Internet Safety Information
–Medline Plus: Guide to Healthy Web Surfing
–Finding Trusted, Credible Health Information
|COMMON and SEASONAL AILMENTS
– Allergic Reactions
– Insect Bites and Stings
– Understanding Food Allergies
– Food Allergies (NIAID)
– Cold, Flu or Allergy?
| CHRONIC DISEASES
From the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (CDC):
– About Chronic Disease
– How You Can Prevent Chronic Disease
I M P O R T A N T! If you need immediate help or if you are having thoughts of death or suicide, call 911 or 1-800-273-TALK (8255), or go to a hospital emergency room.– National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
– The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) The lead federal agency for research on mental disorders
– Alzheimer’s Association
– Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) – Greater New Jersey Chapter. Understand the facts, find treatment and support for children, teen, college students, girls and women, diverse communities, caregivers, older adults, friends and relatives, military and military families.
– The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance(DBSA) Peer-based, wellness-oriented, and empowering services and resources including online peer support 24/7, local support groups, audio, and videocasts.
– Children’s Mental Health Information from the American Psychological Association (APA)
– American Psychiatric Association Learn about common mental disorders, including symptoms, risk factors and treatment options.
– What is Mindfulness?
– Can Living in the Moment Improve Your Health?
– National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH): In this video, Dr. Amishi Jha of NCCIH talks about mindfulness and her research on mindfulness training and building resilience.
– In-depth information on Yoga from the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
– Meditation for Stress Reduction information from the Mayo Clinic
– Meditation information from the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH)
– Genetics Home Reference
– Understanding the Human Genome – Easy-to-follow animations and a wealth of information about chromosones, genes and the parts of cells.
– News About Drugs
– Medicare Drug Coverage Part D
Publications & Research Tools
|Visions Newsletter is a peer-reviewed publication for consumers. Articles focus on family & community health sciences current topics of interest to the general public. The newsletter features articles on nutrition, physical activity, and health as part of the Get Moving-Get Healthy New Jersey initiative that is a partnership with the NJ Department of Health and Senior Services along with our 4-H colleagues. Articles on nutrition, health finances, healthy environments, and food safety are included.
||Cancer Currents: A National Cancer Institute Research Blog
National Toxicology Program Report:
PUBLIC HEALTH NEWS
|ATLANTIC HEALTH SYSTEMS
– Atlanticast : a local news source for all things happening at Atlantic Health System’s hospitals and the communities they serve. New episodes are released every two weeks, covering everything from our state-of-the-art facilities and groundbreaking treatments to healthy lifestyle tips and healthcare industry trends.