Looking for information on careers in the health field? Visit our health careers page.
COVID-19 INFORMATION & RESOURCES
Similarities & Differences Between Flu and COVID-19 – from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
COVID-19 Outbreak Resources – from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
COVID-19 Resources – from the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
COVID-19 Information Hub – from the New Jersey State Library
New Jersey COVID-19 Dashboard – from the New Jersey Department of Health
Call 911West Milford Police(non-emergency)
Call: 973-728-2802Passaic County Women’s Center Hotline
24-hour confidential counseling and assistance for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, their families, and friends.
West Milford NJ Domestic Violence Response Team
National Domestic Violence Hotline
DRUG & ALCOHOL ABUSE: 1-888-575-7851 On the Wagon was founded by victims of drug and alcohol abuse to create the most comprehensive and authoritative resource for parents, children, friends, and society as a whole on drug abuse and mental health-related issues, with the end goal to get them back “on the wagon.”
National Council on Seniors Drug & Alcohol Rehab
Start Your Recovery provides helpful information for people who are dealing with substance use issues
Find out how to get food in case of an emergency, apply for food stamps, and what free or low-cost food programs are available for infants, children, and seniors
West Milford Public Health Nursing Division
Passaic County Resources
–The Passaic County Paratransit Program
West Milford Health Advisory Board
Jewish Family and Children’s Services of Northern New Jersey (JFCS)
Guide to Mental Health Services in Passaic County
ENGLISH — DISASTER HOTLINE: 1-800-985-5990
Free, confidential, and multilingual telephone crisis support service for U.S. residents experiencing psychological distress as a result of a natural or man-made disaster.
POISON Help Hotline 1-800-222-1222 – U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
SUBSTANCE ABUSE Hotline 1-800-662-HELP – Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
NATIONAL RUNAWAY SAFELINE 1-800-RUNAWAY or use the online services to chat, email, or post on the forum for confidential, nonjudgmental support.
INFORMATION FROM NIH/NNLM
Since 2018, West Milford Township Library has participated with The Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM) in their mission to improve the public’s access to information to enable them to make informed decisions about their health. This work is coordinated by the National Library of Medicine and carried out through a nationwide network of health science libraries, public libraries, and information centers.
–NIH Health Information Lines(Many numbers are toll-free.)
–NIH Health Information in Multiple Languages
|MAGAZINES & NEWSLETTERS
– NIH MedlinePlus Salud – Current issue
– NIH News in Health – Current issue
– NIH Research Matters – a weekly update of NIH research highlights reviewed by NIH’s experts.
– Smart Health Choices
– Understanding Health Statistics
– Better Research for Better Healthcare
–MedlinePlus: Talking With Your Doctor
–MedlinePlus: Internet Safety Information
–Medline Plus: Guide to Healthy Web Surfing
–Finding Trusted, Credible Health Information
|COMMON and SEASONAL AILMENTS
– Allergic Reactions
– Insect Bites and Stings
– Understanding Food Allergies
– Food Allergies (NIAID)
– Cold, Flu or Allergy?
| CHRONIC DISEASES
From the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (CDC):
– About Chronic Disease
– How You Can Prevent Chronic Disease
I M P O R T A N T! If you need immediate help or if you are having thoughts of death or suicide, call 911 or 1-800-273-TALK (8255), or go to a hospital emergency room.
– National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
– The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) The lead federal agency for research on mental disorders
– What is Mindfulness?
– Can Living in the Moment Improve Your Health?
– National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH): In this video, Dr. Amishi Jha of NCCIH talks about mindfulness and her research on mindfulness training and building resilience.
– Meditation for Stress Reduction information from the Mayo Clinic
– Meditation information from the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH)
– Meditation for Anxiety and Addiction: The Ultimate Guide information from Ohio University College of Health Sciences and Professions
– In-depth information on Yoga from the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
– Genetics Home Reference
– Understanding the Human Genome – Easy-to-follow animations and a wealth of information about chromosones, genes and the parts of cells.
– Understanding the Pros and Cons of Genetic Testing – information from the University of Illinois at Chicago
– News About Drugs
– Medicare Drug Coverage Part D
Publications & Research Tools
|Visions Newsletter is a peer-reviewed publication for consumers. Articles focus on family & community health sciences current topics of interest to the general public. The newsletter features articles on nutrition, physical activity, and health as part of the Get Moving-Get Healthy New Jersey initiative that is a partnership with the NJ Department of Health and Senior Services along with our 4-H colleagues. Articles on nutrition, health finances, healthy environments, and food safety are included.
Health Research Tips
|Cancer Currents: A National Cancer Institute Research Blog
National Toxicology Program Report:
PUBLIC HEALTH NEWS
|ATLANTIC HEALTH SYSTEMS
– Atlanticast : a local news source for all things happening at Atlantic Health System’s hospitals and the communities they serve. New episodes are released every two weeks, covering everything from our state-of-the-art facilities and groundbreaking treatments to healthy lifestyle tips and healthcare industry trends.