The West Milford Township Library (WMTL) recently became an affiliate member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM). By joining this nationwide network of medical libraries and information centers, we have enhanced access to materials you can use to make informed decisions about your health. Go to information from National Institutes of Health/National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NIH/NNLM).
Looking for information on careers in the health field? Visit our health careers page.
West Milford NJ Domestic Violence Response Team
National Domestic Violence Hotline
DRUG & ALCOHOL ABUSE: 1-888-575-7851 On the Wagon was founded by victims of drug and alcohol abuse with the objective of creating the most comprehensive and authoritative resource for parents, children, friends, and society as a whole on drug abuse and mental health-related issues, with the end goal to get them back “on the wagon.”
New Life Recovery Center: 1-888-412-1969 is West Milford, New Jersey’s On the Wagon facility, offering outpatient drug rehabilitation services for adult males, adult females, teens and DUI.
National Council on Seniors Drug & Alcohol Rehab 1-877-888-0552: Free, confidential
Find out how to get food in case of an emergency, apply for food stamps and what free or low-cost food programs are available for infants, children and seniors
West Milford Public Health Nursing Division
– Preventive health services including health screenings and immunizations for children and adults
– Office Hours are 8:30 – 4:30 p.m. most days
– Please call 973-728-2726 Monday through Friday to schedule appointments
Passaic County Senior Services, Disability, Nutrition, and Veteran Affairs
Aging, disability, Veteran’s affairs, para transit, nutrition services, energy assistance, adult day care and legal services.
West Milford Health Advisory Board
Jewish Family and Children’s Services of Northern New Jersey (JFCS)
Counseling, career readiness, senior services, financial aid & advocacy, community outreach programs
DISASTER HOTLINE: 1-800-985-5990
or text ‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746(English)
DISASTER HOTLINE: 1-800-985-5990 and press “2”
or text ‘Hablanos’ to 66746(Spanish – in the U.S.)
Free, confidential and multilingual telephone crisis support service for U.S. residents experiencing psychological distress as a result of a natural or man-made disaster.
Toll-free, 24 hours-a-day, seven days a week.
POISON Help Hotline 1-800-222-1222 – U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
SUBSTANCE ABUSE Hotline 1-800-662-HELP – Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Information from NIH/NNLM
MAGAZINES & NEWSLETTERS
– NIH MedlinePlus Salud – Current issue
– NIH News in Health – Current issue
– NIH Research Matters – a weekly update of NIH research highlights reviewed by NIH’s experts.
– Smart Health Choices
– Understanding Health Statistics
– Better Research for Better Healthcare
–MedlinePlus: Talking With Your Doctor
–MedlinePlus: Internet Safety Information
–Medline Plus: Guide to Healthy Web Surfing
–Finding Trusted, Credible Health Information
COMMON and SEASONAL AILMENTS
– Allergic Reactions
– Insect Bites and Stings
– Understanding Food Allergies
– Food Allergies (NIAID)
– Cold, Flu or Allergy?
– How to Understand Your Lab Results
– Comprehensive Guide to Lab Tests
– Lab Tests A-Z
– Environmental Health
– Emotional Health
– Physical Health
– Social Wellness
– Disease Prevention
I M P O R T A N T! If you need immediate help or if you are having thoughts of death or suicide, call 911 or 1-800-273-TALK (8255), or go to a hospital emergency room.
Behavioral Health Treatment Locator
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
Greater New Jersey Chapter
Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA)
The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)
Children’s Mental Health
American Psychiatric Association
– What is Mindfulness?
– Can Living in the Moment Improve Your Health?
– National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH): In this video, Dr. Amishi Jha of NCCIH talks about mindfulness and her research on mindfulness training and building resilience.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES:
Publications & Research Tools
Visions Newsletter is a peer-reviewed publication for consumers. Articles focus on family & community health sciences current topics of interest to the general public. The newsletter features articles on nutrition, physical activity, and health as part of the Get Moving-Get Healthy New Jersey initiative that is a partnership with the NJ Department of Health and Senior Services along with our 4-H colleagues. Articles on nutrition, health finances, healthy environments, and food safety are included.
Health Research Tips
– How to Make Sense of Health Research
– Medline Plus: Understanding Medical Research
– Medical Library Association: A User’s Guide to Finding Good Health Information on the Web
Cancer Currents: A National Cancer Institute Research Blog
National Toxicology Program Report:
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released the 14th Report on Carcinogens on November 3, 2016. The Report on Carcinogens is a congressionally mandated, science-based, public health document that NTP prepares for the HHS Secretary.
PUBLIC HEALTH NEWS
– Global Health Now A not-for-profit initiative of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Free e-newsletter subscription available.
ATLANTIC HEALTH SYSTEMS
– Atlanticast : a local news source for all things happening at Atlantic Health System’s hospitals and the communities they serve. New episodes are released every two weeks, covering everything from our state-of-the-art facilities and groundbreaking treatments to healthy lifestyle tips and healthcare industry trends.